Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Should have mentioned

So I was just thinking, as I surf the internet for something to do, that I should have mentioned that my great grandmother passed away the end of last month. The timing was interesting. My mom, RuthAnne and I went up to my grandparent's camp in NY Sunday through Wednesday. The Friday before we left my dad broke his ankle. While we were up in NY (Monday) Nana went into the hospital. Tuesday Isaac called to tell me we had 3 cases of H1N1 flu in our building. With the H1N1 we decided that RuthAnne and I would stay with my parents once we got home, at least through the weekend, probably leaving to come home the following Monday or Tuesday. Well, Nana aspirated on her lunch on Wednesday and got worse from there. My sister, mom and I went to see her Wednesday. I was able to see her Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. If we had been home with the H1N1 I wouldn't have been able to see her at all. And I don't know when I would have been able to make it up even if we hadn't had them. But luckily I wasn't and I was able to see her. My mom and I went to see her on Sunday, October 25th in the afternoon. Her blood pressure was strong and she was breathing "normally" with oxygen. Within an hour of when we left we got a call from my grandmother telling us they were headed down to see her. Her pulse and breathing were both weak. About 30 minutes later we got a call that she had passed.
I think the hardest thing about it is that she was about 6 weeks from being 100 years old, but I don't think that really matters, what is a few weeks when you have lived that long? It hasn't really hit me, we shall see what happens when her birthday comes around. I think that might be when it hits me. I think part of it is I feel so bad, I had a feeling this was going to happen. A few months back she started having trouble eating, but she was such a strong women no one really thought anything of it, and she was doing better. But I felt like we should go and visit her, she hadn't seen RuthAnne in quite some time. Its just so hard and I think I don't really want to think about it, and so far so good, I just want to start crying when I do. and as I write this I think it is starting to hit me; at least a little bit.
I have newer ones, but these are the ones I have on this computer.
Nana's 98th Birthday (2007)


Nana's 99th Birthday (2008)

No comments: